Monday, July 13, 2015

    (Scrolling back to 1949 in this memoir will provide baseball junkies with the very essence of the game and the father/son relationship to it)

    “I’VE BEEN GOOD TO BASEBALL, BASEBALL HASN’T BEEN GOOD TO ME”

BIG MOE,

     Bucky Harris and Gabby Hartnett were fine players in their days and a pair of true gentlemen. Hartnett was a Hall of Fame catcher, a guy I watched growing up in Chicago, and Harris played and managed half a century. They were almost too nice to be in baseball.

     In 1946, when I returned from the service, they were at spring training with the Tigers down in Lakeland and were going to manage and coach our farm team in Buffalo. I’d had a great spring, hitting over .400, got myself into great shape after a 3 year layoff. The general manager, Jack Zeller, called me into his office and told me they wanted to send me to Buffalo and start the season with Eddie Lake, Eddie Mayo, Bloodsworth, and Skeeter Webb, four guys who couldn’t carry my jockstrap. Well. I refused to go down. I was half crazy with anger, and I wanted to kill Steve O’Neill, the manager, and the rest of the stooges in the front office running the team. I asked Zeller what was going on, because he wasn’t a bad guy, and he knew I could play rings around those guys, but he said “his hands were tied.” That’s what they all tell you.

     I asked to be traded. Zeller said he’d work on it, which was more bullshit. Hartnett and Harris told me to cool down and come up to Buffalo and play for them. Rumor was very strong they were both going to the Yankees the next season, with Harris as manager, and he promised he wouldn’t go to New York without taking me along. He’d always liked me, believed in me, and he told Rose that, and tried to get her to persuade me to go with them, and SHE wanted me to go, too, but, like I said, I was too mad and fed up with the Detroit organization by that time to keep playing for a prick like Spike Briggs.

     Harris and Hartnett understood and told me not to give up hope, because the Yankees wanted a Jewish ball player with some hitting punch to play third and utility. There was a huge following of Jewish fans in the Bronx. A perfect situation. When you’re in a line-up with guys like DiMaggio and Henrich and Rizzuto, your batting average automatically goes up thirty points.

     But hell, time was running out on me. I was 32 years old and felt Detroit would never trade me to New York, because they knew damn well I’d come back to hurt them and make them look stupid. So I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, really getting the shaft. Going to Buffalo at this point was humiliating, and so I got an offer to jump the big leagues and go down to Mexico for a lot more money than I’d make in the big leagues, and I took it, and told Briggs to stick it up his ass. A local sportswriter interviewed me and I told him, “I’d always been good to baseball, but baseball had never been good to me, and I had to do financially what was best for my wife and son.” I’d had enough of getting handed rosary beads before games and watching donkeys play my position.

     In professional baseball, sometimes it’s not just about playing the game, although it should be that way. I’m no Alibi Ike and I don’t believe in sour grapes and I always look forward to the next step and never let the bad breaks bother me and made the best of a situation, but sometimes you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time and have no control over things and have to sit and watch the prime years of your career go down the drain, wasted.

     I had good years in Mexico, and in Cuba, had a great time, but still, it wasn’t the big leagues. And sure enough, in ’47, Harris goes to the Yankees as manager and they win a World Series! If I’d listened to Rose, things would be different now. We’d probably be New Yorkers. But that’s all water under the bridge, and you should never forget there’s a lot of heartbreak in baseball, especially if you love the game and will go anywhere, under any conditions, to play.

     And especially if the money’s better.


     (Next Sunday installment: The Kid’s Blowing Smoke Up My ass.”) 

No comments:

Post a Comment