Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Ball Player's Son

                                            BLOOD TRANSFUSION

1959

     Dad and Mom got into a savage argument that erupted at the dinner table a day after my act of cowardice. Every point he made was shoved down his throat with barbed venom. Finally he grew so exasperated and enraged that he fired a fork at her, and it made a direct hit, sticking in her tender bicep. Mother stared at him coldly and pulled it out, calmly walked out of the dining room, but not before telling him in an arctic tone of voice to “pack his bags and get out of the house.” Susie ran from the table, shrieking.

     This was a first; he’d never touched her, and she’d never booted his ass out. He packed a bag and moved into a shabby motel in Compton. The relief of tension in the house was instant. We were at last calm. Mom made a show of being happy, but I knew things couldn’t go on like this, especially when cousin Bob, Dad’s right hand man at the store, came by to inform us Dad was a mess and would probably get in a fight over a traffic altercation and end up in jail if Mom didn’t take him back. He was so irritable in the store he was driving everybody crazy, working 70 hours a week

     A week into his absence I was sitting on the porch still moping over my craven display when Dad drove up in his Rambler wagon, bounced over a curb and back down into the gutter, coming to a crooked stop. Mother was instantly on the porch, hands on hips, looking cross. The shot-gun door opened and Dad fell out onto the strip of grass separating the sidewalk and curb and, on his hands and knees, vomited profusely into the gutter. I walked over to stand near him as neighbors piled out of their homes to observe the toughest, most famous guy in town resemble a skid row drunk. It was a Saturday afternoon. I’d never seen Dad this drunk before. I’d seen him happily lit with his baseball pals, but never like this—never.

     While I stood over him, he peered up, and muttered. “Yer motha, she knows everything! Never wrong. Shit.” He spewed out bits of vomit, hiccupped several times. “Go tell yer motha I’m comin’ home. That’s my house, too. I goddam worked for it. I paid for it. I won’t be a goddam mouse in my own house!”

     He sat up, holding his head. He tried to rise but teetered and I held him up. He smelled foul. I hoisted him by the armpits and dragged him like a 6 foot heavy bag toward the front door of our house. Mother and Susie stood on the porch looking like executioners. They turned away abruptly and made sour faces as I grunted and pushed past them, hauling Dad. I got him into the house and led him to the bathroom where he puked some more in the toilet. Then he sat on the side of the tub.

     “All I do is work!” He shouted. “And I’M the goddam villain. I’m no wife beater.
I’m not Black Bart!”

     Doors slammed. I peeled off his sweat-drenched, vomit-sprayed shirt, pulled off his shoes, then his pants. He stood, wavering, and I caught him as he slipped out of his boxer shorts and led him to the shower. I got him in the shower. I turned on the cold spray full blast and savored his shuddering cries. I handed him a tooth brush with paste.

     “In case she ever kisses you again, Dad.”

     “Very funny.”

     I kept an eye on him so he didn’t collapse in the shower and cut himself to ribbons on the glass door. After more of his howling and growling, I got him out, tossed him a towel. He wrapped it around his waist and I led him toward the bedroom, where mother and Susie packed a bag and skittered past us and out of the house, headed for gramma’s. Dad collapsed face first on the bed and was immediately snoring loudly through a thrice broken nose. I was stuck with Black Bart.

                                                   ----------------    

     Next morning, late, Dad was too hungover to eat. He stood in the kitchen drinking coffee, his face doughy and stubbly, eyes bloodshot.

     “You know your father’s no drunk,” he told me. “Your mother knows it, too. She knows she’s gotta go pretty far to me fork her.” He belched. “Anyway, thanks for taking care of your old man.” He stared at me for a long time, appraising me with those bad eyes. “Now,” he said. “Go get the bag of balls. We’re gonna hit.”

     We hauled the gear to the Roosevelt rock pile as churchgoers returned for yard work, stood with garden tools to observe us. I knew I was in for SOME thing as we warmed up, both of us humming the ball pretty good, like burn-out. He wore his grim game face. Then he grabbed a bat and said he was going to hit, because he was to play in an Old Timer’s game at Dodger Stadium before a Dodger game. Last year, down in San Diego, he hit a 385 foot homer at Westgate Park in an Old Timer’s game and his arm was still pretty strong.

     I tossed some normal BP and he pulled half a dozen ropes into leftfield. He waved the bat at me and implored me to throw harder. I did. He laced two balls that nearly took my head off. “Harder!” he shouted, a superior smirk on his mug, digging in. I wound up and fired one up and in and he tomahawked it, the ball soaring and curving over the heads of some young neighborhood kids who began shagging in the outfield. God, could he hit!

     “KNOCK ME DOWN!” he bellowed, waving his hand at himself, taunting. “Come on, bird-boy!”

     I fired a medium fastball and instead of ducking he took it on the shoulder and snarled at me. “That all you got? My my, the mosquitoes are biting early this year, aren’t they, bird-boy…? Goddam mommy’s boy!”

     I fired a ball as hard as I could before he could get set and he took it on the backside; then tossed the bat at me like a spinning propeller and I jumped over it. Then he was striding toward me. “Now you hit.” He said, eyeing me like somebody he’d like to punch.

     I took my stance, preparing for a duster. He made me wait; then lobbed a big slow curve down the middle for a strike, and when I froze and took it he jeered and then before I could get set he quick-pitched me a fastball inside which I fouled off. He loaded up and I rifled the next pitch into left field. Then he planted one in my backside, a hummer. I refused to acknowledge the bruising sting. Then he side-armed one at my ankles and I jumped over it and went down on my ass while he horse-laughed, holding the ball, flipping and catching it, in his glory.

     “Ready to hit, birdie?”

     “Fuck you! Bring it on!” I jumped up, dug in.

     He was so happy, happier than I’d seen him in some time, needling, competing, confronting, like he was playing again, and not working his ass off in his shithouse and driving all over hell and back, even if he was his own boss and making way more money than he’d ever made in baseball.

     I rifled three of his fastballs into leftfield before he dusted me. I made sure to hug the plate and took a low outside curve ball and ripped it up the middle and nailed him on the foot and he went down in a heap and sat on the mound cursing and grimacing in pain. I waved my bat at him, “Get up old man, knock me down with your weak shit. I OWN you!”

     He stood and grabbed balls from the bag and began feeding me fastballs, one after another, and his tricky off-speed curving drop, and I hammered everything. Something had busted loose in me. I wanted him to hit me. I wanted the pain. I was so relaxed, felt outside my skin looking in instead of inside looking out; an exhilaration and sureness coursed through my blood. My stroke was simple, level, compact, quick, a perfect extension of my father’s swing, the swing I’d learned and copied from him, even adopting his mannerisms of touching the plate and digging in and pumping the bat twice before laying it on my shoulder while I eye-balled the pitcher, and I realized, as I hammered out line drive after line drive with violent precision, that the demented man on the mound was part of me and I was part of him, that indeed we looked the same, smelled the same, and the same wild Russian blood ran through our veins, and that no matter what happened from here on out we were one and the same and I could not escape him, whether I liked it or not. I must deal with it.

     Finally, panting for breath, bent over at the knees, he looked up and grinned at me as balls came rolling in from the kids shagging in left field. He walked toward me, flipped me his glove. “Look, you know making the pivot at second you never let the baserunner intimidate you, I don’t give a fuck who he is, you hit the sonofabitch between the eyes with the ball when he comes in high, and I guarantee he’ll never come in high again, unless he wants a hair-lip or a new nose.”

     Dad grimaced as he talked. No doubt because of his toe. “You let these kids hit now. Pitch to ‘em.” He smacked me hard on the shoulder and set off toward the house, limping badly; neighbors, out in force, looking on. When I got home an hour later, mother was back. They were in the bedroom, Dad face down on the bed, icepacks under his toe and on his back, mother massaging his neck. An ugly purple welt was on his backside. Mother looked up at me as I stood in the doorway. She shook her head, but there was a glimmer of accepting good humor in her eyes. “You two,” was all she said.


     (Next Sunday installment: “A Near racial riot at Cressey Park”)

No comments:

Post a Comment