Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Ball Player's Son

                           THE PHEE-NOM HITS A ROAD BLOCK

1957

     The Anaheim American Legion Tournament consisted of 80 teams throughout California and was the most prestigious of its kind, arguably, in the country. It was played at La Palma Park, a beautiful, sculptured stadium with stands and outfield bleachers like a minor league stadium.The tournament drew huge crowds throughout August, and scouts and bird-dogs from every big league team sat in their plaid shirts and straw and linen hats and alpaca sweaters with note pads and time-watches up and behind home plate below the press box like birds perched on rows and tiers of telephone lines. In 1955 Dad coached Compton kids to seven straight wins and the championship, our reward being seven days in a paid hotel in Catalina the week before Labor Day, with $5 a day for expenses. Most of  the players on that team were playing out their last years of Legion ball (a few signing big league contracts) and while in Catalina completely tore the place apart and were kicked out of our hotel the second night, kicked out of our second hotel the third night and kicked off the island the fourth day.

     Dad’s words to the boys when they got off the ferry at the dock in Catalina were, “You boys get as much snaff and boogair as you can, but don’t get thrown in jail.”

     I tagged along with my best friend, Jimmy Henrich, son of our Junior High coach at Roosevelt and Dad’s assistant, Ed Henrich, (His oldest son, Bob Henrich, signed a big bonus with Cincinnati) and watched these guys get drunk, peroxide their hair blond, chase women, brawl with guys from certain parts of LA, and generally represent rowdy Compton in a manner described by islanders as “the most horrible representatives of American youth ever seen.”

     In 1956, Dad and the team nearly repeated, and this year, with a thirteen year old at second base on our first game before a full house at night, Dad was introduced to the crowd from the press box as former Detroit Tiger and Hollywood Star and coach of past Anaheim tournament champions and received a rousing ovation to which he came out of the dugout and doffed his cap; the Dodgers hadn’t come out from the east yet and he was still a hero.

     So far, his kid had held his own. I was choking up on a 35 inch 35 ounce Nellie Fox    coke-bottle shaped model bat, standing on top of the plate like Nellie, and chipping away, not quick enough yet to pull heat but managing to whack a few shots up the middle and into right field. When I came to bat my first time, I was introduced as the son of Murray Franklin, and I ground my teeth and seethed. My Dad coached third base. He clapped his hands. His uniform fit him perfectly with his socks high at the knees, while his kid wore his uniform baggy with his socks low like Mickey Mantle. Our relationship had evolved to my working for him in his store as a means of learning the business and earning a little money, which gave me independence, and realizing I was not in agreement with everything he said and did, and thus we argued, and I was accused of being disrespectful and a wise-ass and when he snapped and snarled at me suddenly spurting venom, I felt myself gorged with visions of retaliation but had none, and therefore talked back and was chased, gleefully discovering that since I had become the fastest white kid of my age group in Compton, he could no longer catch me.

     Yet all was different on the ball field. Dad was king and never to be disputed. You gave him a long look when he gave signs. Just by watching him coach and talk throughout the game you learned invaluable baseball knowledge. Of this I was still in awe, and after grounding out my first time at bat, I settled down and played well enough as we won our first two games with a younger team lacking the older prospects of the past two years.

     Dad was coaching several young kids around my age, including Jimmy, and two of our team mates, Pat Pomeroy, who Dad felt was a natural hitter with a major league arm, and Ken Bowlin, a rangy pitcher, already a prospect with a live fastball and good control and a cocky attitude—quarterback on our Roosevelt football team, on which I was a halfback. The four of us hung together and played over-the-line baseball at Roosevelt, two-on-two basketball and tag football, cussed and talked pussy though only Jimmy seemed to be getting anywhere with the budding teenage girls in skintight skirts who chewed gum and tried to ignore our awkward and obnoxious attempts at conversation. Among the four, I was by far the most backward and ineffective, a drooling drooler..

     Dad referred to us as “The Four Stooges.”

     Bowlin and I did not like each other, though we weren’t enemies. He hinted I was the privileged son of a former big leaguer and had all the advantages. The fact we were team mates was our only bond, unlike with Jim, who was my best friend and fellow baseball junky. We were playing a heated football game at Roosevelt the day before our third game when Ken and I, opponents, got into a vile argument and he said something referring to me and my father and I attacked him, had him back-pedaling as I snorted fire, and just as I was about to punch him again he threw the football as hard as he could at my face and when I put up my hands to block it red hot pain seared through my thumb as I hit the ground clutching my wrist and staring at a thumb that had dislocated to the other side of my hand—a sight so grotesque nobody could look at it.

     In agony, I sprinted a half mile to my dad’s store, barged in and he took me immediately to the emergency room, where the doc took an x ray and then lay me down while the three stooges looked on as Dad held me down. The doc pushed and jiggled until he wrenched the thumb back into place. I took no pain killers. He put a cast on me. Bowlin delivered a weak apology. Dad just stared at him, said nothing. He knew about Bowlin—he hung with Ron Bart, now 16 and huge, our first baseman and starting tackle going both ways on the Compton High football team, and now a virulent racist whose hatred of blacks was never hidden as he referred to and used the word “nigger” like a bludgeon. He had a car, and Bowlin drove around with him.

     So I sat in the dugout with a cast on my left hand while Dad coached our young team to the final game, until we were beaten by a huge bonus baby from Chaffey, Larry Maxie, who threw big league heat and was headed straight to the big time until, like a lot of kids, hurt his arm and labored in the minors for years.

     The kid who took over second, a Mexican kid named Franco Cruz, played great, and Dad asked at the dinner table, “You think you’d’ve held up to the pressure like he did?”
Franco played great defense, turned double-plays, but couldn’t hit, and didn’t hit.

     I wasn’t sure, but of course I told him yes.

     “I think so, too,” Dad said. Then he stared at me for a few seconds. “You think you could have hit that big kid, Maxie? He struck out seventeen of us and we only got two hits. He throws as hard as most big leaguers.”

     “Well, he wouldn’t strike me out.”

     Dad glanced at mom and Susie, winked; then offered me the slightest of grins. “That’s my boy. Guard that dish!”


     (Next Sunday installment: Big Moe’s Crusade.)

No comments:

Post a Comment