Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Ball Player's Son

BIG MOE                          “THE GOLDEN GLOVES”


     My mother had no idea I was boxing in a gym across town and running around with Al Capone’s son, Brian. He lived in this big house with all these tough looking guys in suits hanging around. They were very nice to us and you’d never know they were gangsters shooting people. The most important thing I learned at the gym was how to throw a left hook. Short and crisp. Torquing my hips and shoulder and planting one in the ribs where you can tear cartilage or paralyze a guy with a shot to the liver, or to the side of the jaw so you can snap a guy’s neck. When you hit somebody on the side of the jaw all the gray matter slides over to the other side of the brain and the lights go out. I was blessed to be light on my feet and moved well laterally, side to side, and had good footwork. I had quick hands and developed a pretty good jab. I found that the right hand was not that important, especially in the streets where kids were always trying to sucker punch you with a big right hand. Nobody looked for the left. I pumped that hook into the heavy bag over and over and learned how to set up the left hook and straight right with my left jab, and later I set up opponents for a counter-punch by teasing him into a punch I anticipated. I liked the cat-and-mouse aspect of boxing, where you looked for a weakness and capitalized and were always competing, trying to out-smart the other guy.

     Everybody at the gym told me I had a natural punch, what we called “the heavy hands.” They urged me to get into the Golden Gloves, so I took an Irish name and started my amateur career. I had a killer instinct and started beating people up pretty good. I liked it. I had a lot of anger. I had a shock-absorbing neck, long arms and a knack for moving my head and slipping punches. And my balance kept me from lunging and getting nailed in the kisser coming in, like a hitter lunging off his front foot instead of staying back After I won a few fights I decided to make up for all the beatings I’d taken from the Polocks and Germans. I wanted the older kids who’d run in packs and bullied and tortured me and spit on my sisters a few years back, before I got used to fighting. They’d forgotten, but not me. I hung in the park, and when I caught those bastards alone I beat the living hell out of them, broke their noses, knocked out their teeth. The Gorski brothers were the worst sadists. I got one of them in the lavatory at the high school and when I got through beating him bloody I shoved his face in the urinal and told him if any of his brothers and Polock friends wanted to mess with me or my sisters I’d make them eat shit the next time. I ended up getting all the Gorski brothers. Word got around. I had a reputation.

     Not everybody can fight, has the heart or attitude or the physical tools for it, but I did. My parents had no idea I was boxing in the ring and never would have allowed it. I made up lies during bouts. Told them I was visiting friends, doing homework at the library. The more I boxed, the more I learned, the more I appreciated the art of it, the strategy. The great Barney Ross worked out in our gym, and just watching him you could learn all there was to know—how to neutralize power, cut off the ring, set a guy up for a punch, make a guy miss. He was a master. You couldn’t hit him, yet he could hit you all day. He was somebody to admire, a fighting Jew. Those were different times than today. You had to do what you had to do, to survive. Survival of the fittest. I found out one thing: everybody looks up to a guy who can and will fight to the end. The guy in the street can smell it a mile away.



No comments:

Post a Comment